In general, senior infrastructure engineers hold similar degree levels compared to help desk engineers. Senior infrastructure engineers are 4.0% more likely to earn their Master’s Degree and 0.2% less likely to graduate with a Doctoral Degree. One of the best ways to learn the skills needed to bea help desk engineer is to take online courses to advance your career, like those provided by Udemy and Coursera. Customer service is the process of offering assistance to all the current and potential customers — answering questions, fixing problems, and providing excellent service.
The fast-paced and important nature of this position guarantees that no two days will be identical, offering a stimulating and engaging career for those who excel in problem-solving and technology. He explains that these abilities will provide great value to you and your organization throughout the entirety of your career. That’s why we connected with IT professionals to find out just how valuable this experience is. Here are four ways working as a help desk technician can help prepare you for the IT career of your dreams. If you’re serious about launching an IT career, one of the most-likely first stops you’ll consider on your career path is to work as a help desk technician.
Help Desk Engineer Education FAQs
However, this stage in the pipeline may be a suitable fit for individuals who want to go into full-time software engineering employment. Answer queries about hardware, software, and applications either in person or over the phone. As companies upgrade their computer systems and implement new applications, the need grows constantly for Help Desk Engineers, also called Technical Support Specialists. And while you’ll certainly need a foundation of technical knowledge to get started in a help desk role, these positions can also offer opportunities to develop your technical expertise. Information engineers earn the highest salary when working in the technology industry, where they receive an average salary of $107,435.
Adams explains that interdepartmental communication happens all the time in IT, particularly at companies where IT works together as a well-oiled machine. That cross pollination of sorts can be a ladder for you as you look to move forward in your career. “I credit my previous managers and co-workers for helping me build my skills in order to get where I never thought possible,” Osman says. While not every IT help desk role will have the same soft skill growth opportunities as Adams’ experience, he certainly values the chances he had. Landing one of these positions could help you on your way to a long and robust career in IT, so let’s take a closer look at what you can expect from the experience. Learners are advised to conduct additional research to ensure that courses and other credentials pursued meet their personal, professional, and financial goals.
Help desk engineer vs. Desk support technician
First, learn about the essential software brain of a computer—its operating system software when you explore Microsoft Windows. Next, discover internal key hardware computer components, including… Osman says working in a help desk role provides opportunities to network with more advanced technicians and engineers, as well as gain a better understanding of how other teams operate and resolve issues. This additional perspective can be incredibly helpful for narrowing down what would be a wide-open IT career path.
- Answer queries about hardware, software, and applications either in person or over the phone.
- Technical assistance is the non-financial assistance provided by local or international specialists.
- Help desk engineers with a Doctorate degree earn an average annual salary of $61,073.
- Of course, there are many additional elements to address in addition to these five phases, such as communication methods, technical learning suggestions, and how to build a support system.
While similarities exist, there are also some differences between help desk engineers and desktop support specialist. A senior infrastructure engineer specializes in designing and developing systems and infrastructures based on client preferences and industry standards. Additionally, a senior infrastructure engineer has the authority to make decisions, train and supervise junior engineers, establish goals and timelines, provide technical support, and implement policies and guidelines. A help desk engineer provides technical support to end-users, both remotely or in-person.
Help Desk Engineer Related Careers
- Help desk engineers and desk support technicians both require similar skills like “troubleshoot,” “help-desk support,” and “technical support” to carry out their responsibilities.
- On the other hand, senior infrastructure engineers use skills like cloud, aws, azure, and powershell on their resumes.
- However, continuing to do your original position will not get you there.
- Beyond that technical proficiency, they must also have excellent interpersonal skills to interact with customers.
- Labs, periodic Master Classes, and access to an Online Professional Community allow you to solidify your technical expertise.
- Most who were able to make the transition applied these steps; they continued to put themself in a position to succeed and eventually made it to full-time software engineering employment.
- A help desk technician’s role can actually do you—and your career—plenty of good.
Product and engineering benefit significantly from your product and customer knowledge. When a client encounters an issue, reach out to engineers for assistance. Or notify a product manager about your suggestions for minor enhancements to improve the user experience. If you’re ready to enter the world of Information Technology (IT), you need job-ready skills. This course enables you to develop the skills to work with computer hardware and operating systems, and is your first step to prepare for all types of tech related careers that require IT Fundamental skills.
There are also many online help desk engineer courses to help get the education required to be a help desk engineer. Rasmussen University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is authorized to operate as a postsecondary educational institution by the Illinois Board of Higher Education. Rasmussen University is not regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission. For additional information about Licensing and State Authorization, and State Contact Information for Student Complaints, please see those sections of our catalog. “Once you’ve established yourself at a company, you can ask your manager if they’d be willing to talk to a higher-level engineer or that engineer’s manager to possibly set up some time to shadow them,” Adams says.